WATTS IS A NON-PROFIT, CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION (501c3) THAT PROVIDES A SAFE, TEMPORARY, OVERNIGHT, COLD WEATHER SHELTER FOR HOMELESS ADULT GUESTS AT HOST SITES IN WINCHESTER AND FREDERICK AND CLARKE COUNTIES, VA.
HELP WATTS TO THE NINES!!
You have all heard the phrase “to the nines”. Research shows that this means – “to be the best that you can be”
WATTS IS ENTERING OUR NINTH SEASON – SO WE ARE ASKING FOLKS TO HELP WATTS TO THE NINES, TO BE THE VERY BEST THAT WE CAN BE FOR THE GUESTS WE SERVE, BY DONATING IN INCREMENTS OF NINE
$9 – $9.99 – $90 – $99.99 – $9 for 9 months – YOU GET THE IDEA
There’s plenty of folk tales for the phrase that link clothing with the number nine. But centuries before to the nines might also refer to a group of nine, examples of which pop up in myth and history all over the world.
- In Norse cosmology, the great tree Yggdrasil unites nine worlds.
- The ancient Greeks had nine muses.
- In Europe during the Middle Ages, the Nine Worthies were men drawn from pagan, Jewish and Christian history as personifications of chivalry.
- In Christianity, the fruits and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are both nine in number.
During WATTS’s 2016/2017 (November 2016 through March 2017) winter season, shelter was provided to our homeless guests for 140 nights from 7 PM to 7 AM daily.
- 4494 cots were occupied
- approximately 4494 dinners and 4494 breakfasts were served
- approximately 4494 bagged lunches were distributed
- more than 2600 volunteers contributed approximately 24,000 hours in service to support shelter operations
- medical volunteers documented 1143 consults
- 76% 0f guests were male; 24% female
- 83% of guests were between 19 and 57 years of age
WATTS provides cots, linens, blankets, pillows, and volunteers at each shelter provide a warm nourishing dinner, breakfast and bag lunch.
WATTS trained Night Managers are on duty every night.
In addition, volunteer medical personnel provided basic first aid and, when appropriate, made referrals to the Free Medical Clinic for evaluation.
The Stephens City branch of the BANK OF CLARKE COUNTY will be holding a number of fundraisers to benefit WATTS during November and December!
COOKIE SALE – December 20, 21, 22 during business hours. Holiday cookies from employees and friends will be on sale for the benefit of WATTS.
SILENT AUCTION – beginning November 15 until December 15. A number of holiday and everyday gift items will be up for auction in the lobby of the Stephens City branch. Make your bid on the sign up sheets provided. We are also looking for additional items for the sale. If you have ideas please contact Betty Weller at the Stephens City branch.
In addition to all they are doing to help WATTS there will also be donation jars at every teller window. Please visit the Stephens City branch of the BANK OF CLARKE COUNTY and help WATTS in it’s mission.
A special thanks to Betty Weller and everyone at the Bank!
WATTS has been made a beneficiary of the Season of the Giving Trees, please donate!