WATTS IS A NON-PROFIT, CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION (501c3) THAT PROVIDES A SAFE, TEMPORARY, OVERNIGHT, COLD WEATHER SHELTER FOR HOMELESS ADULT GUESTS AT HOST SITES IN WINCHESTER AND FREDERICK AND CLARKE COUNTIES, VA.
HELP WATTS TO THE NINES!!
You have all heard the phrase “to the nines”. Research shows that this means – “to be the best that you can be”
WATTS IS ENTERING OUR NINTH SEASON – SO WE ARE ASKING FOLKS TO HELP WATTS TO THE NINES, TO BE THE VERY BEST THAT WE CAN BE FOR THE GUESTS WE SERVE, BY DONATING IN INCREMENTS OF NINE
$9 – $9.99 – $90 – $99.99 – $9 for 9 months – YOU GET THE IDEA
There’s plenty of folk tales for the phrase that link clothing with the number nine. But centuries before to the nines might also refer to a group of nine, examples of which pop up in myth and history all over the world.
- In Norse cosmology, the great tree Yggdrasil unites nine worlds.
- The ancient Greeks had nine muses.
- In Europe during the Middle Ages, the Nine Worthies were men drawn from pagan, Jewish and Christian history as personifications of chivalry.
- In Christianity, the fruits and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are both nine in number.
During WATTS’s 2016/2017 (November 2016 through March 2017) winter season, shelter was provided to our homeless guests for 140 nights from 7 PM to 7 AM daily.
- 4494 cots were occupied
- approximately 4494 dinners and 4494 breakfasts were served
- approximately 4494 bagged lunches were distributed
- more than 2600 volunteers contributed approximately 24,000 hours in service to support shelter operations
- medical volunteers documented 1143 consults
- 76% 0f guests were male; 24% female
- 83% of guests were between 19 and 57 years of age
WATTS provides cots, linens, blankets, pillows, and volunteers at each shelter provide a warm nourishing dinner, breakfast and bag lunch.
WATTS trained Night Managers are on duty every night.
In addition, volunteer medical personnel provided basic first aid and, when appropriate, made referrals to the Free Medical Clinic for evaluation.